Today was the second day of the epic road trip to New Mexico! My dad and I left Tallahassee yesterday morning. We decided to take an extra day to lessen the amount of driving per day and to be able to do some sightseeing.
Yesterday, we drove 6 hours to New Orleans and walked around. It was pretty cool, mostly because I have never been there and I have heard so much about it. If I were 21 it would have been more fun because I'm sure my dad and I would have stopped in a few bars (maybe). We just walked around and went in some souvenir shops down Bourbon Street. All of the buildings in the French Quarter were so beautiful. I was half expecting the area to be run down because of Katrina but they did a good job renovating the buildings and cleaning up (at least in that area of the city). We ended up in a small town called Opelousas in Louisiana for the night.
Today, we drove the rest of the way through Louisiana and into Texas. We were going to stop in Dallas for a few hours and go to Dealey Plaza (the place where JFK was shot). There is a museum called the "Sixth Floor Museum" that we wanted to check out but by the time we got near Dallas we hit rush hour! We were stuck in construction traffic for a while before we hit Dallas so by the time we got there it was the peak of rush hour traffic. The congestion in Dallas is almost as bad as the NYC area! I was the one driving, and this made me nervous but I have driven through NYC before so it wasn't too different than what I've been through. We decided to just push through the traffic and not try to go into the city so that we would make it out of the Dallas area before it got too dark out. The GPS then took us on a route into Oklahoma and we are now in Paul's Valley, OK. We were going to take a route through the middle of Texas but we decided to add another state to our list. Also, the state road that we were originally going to take would probably have been extremely boring and at least now we get to see a bit of Oklahoma City!
Tomorrow we will head out early so that we can get to Los Alamos at a decent time and explore the town a bit. Stay tuned, kids!
Peace & Love,
Val
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey princess, it sounds like your experience is what you wished. Your dad has been making me hysterical with all his comic relief. Do you think he likes Texas BBQ? He'll probably come home 20 pounds heavier. He has been over using the Texas drawl for sure. God help us when he gets home. I miss your voice so please give a call when you get into Los Alamos. Peace and Love and Squeezes, Mom xoxoxo
ReplyDelete